Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Fans problems

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Am I missing any fuses or relays?
Nope. You're good.

The circled fuses are 50 amp and are for the fan. Low speed and high speed. Change these. Cheap insurance.

Did you install the new fan?

Still having trouble?

Last edited:
OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #22
Just looked at the 50 amps. Shared picture. Both blown. Have oem fan in garage. Getting installed tomorrow.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #23
All is working. Replaced thermostat and two 50 amp fuses. If they blow again I was told to look for a short in the ground wire. Still going to have new fan installed.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
All is working. Replaced thermostat and two 50 amp fuses. If they blow again I was told to look for a short in the ground wire. Still going to have new fan installed.
Glad you got it working.

Keep a pair of spare fuses, until you install that new fan.

A ground wire short is bad advice. That's not how it works. Either your red power wire, or the thinner signal wire could be the culprit. More than likely the control board, on the fan, has an issue.

The fan is no longer a fan, but a module. It is referred to as the fan control module, in the FSM. It is controlled by the PCM, via the coolant temp sensor.

50 Amps is a lot of juice. That is a serious short to ground. When you remove the original fan, take a look at the circuit card, as it may be damaged (burned).

Keep us posted.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #25
Yeah, I am going to buy a couple of spare ones tomorrow. Those were the last two at Autozone. I am so far away mentally from being a mechanic in my 60s. LOL. I pat my self on the back for changing the thermostat and being elated that I found the two blown fuses. One of them was completely blown and Auto Zone said it was unclear on the other. I do not know what a FSM is or the red power wire or the thinner signal wire. I have not opened the box on the oem fan I bought. It was a 416 dollar item that I got on sale. Maybe I did not even buy the right item as I have seen ones that are discounted at 1200. Maybe that one has the circuit board and the one I bought does not. One way to find out. Open the damn box. :)
Thanks for your help as you guided me to the fuses and where they were.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yeah, I am going to buy a couple of spare ones tomorrow. Those were the last two at Autozone. I am so far away mentally from being a mechanic in my 60s. LOL. I pat my self on the back for changing the thermostat and being elated that I found the two blown fuses. One of them was completely blown and Auto Zone said it was unclear on the other. I do not know what a FSM is or the red power wire or the thinner signal wire. I have not opened the box on the oem fan I bought. It was a 416 dollar item that I got on sale. Maybe I did not even buy the right item as I have seen ones that are discounted at 1200. Maybe that one has the circuit board and the one I bought does not. One way to find out. Open the damn box. :)
Thanks for your help as you guided me to the fuses and where they were.
Your welcome.

FSM factory service manual (available for download in the maintenance, or wiki section).

A 3rd party fan will have a circuit card.

There are 3 wires, on the fan connector:

8 gauge red and black. 18 gauge signal wire.

Red one would handle 50 amps. Smaller wire would be dust.

Keep us posted.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
160’degree thermostat. Pwm desired ext set to 163
I had trouble with that one it’s junk failed on me went to 180 and had no issues, I wouldn’t use a 160 because of fuel trims. Your car will never get warm enough to learn or it’ll take forever

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #29
Can you please circle those 50 amp fan fuses?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
They are the two red ones at the end.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
They are the two red ones at the end.
Got it thanks..

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
50 ampers have 2 be da biggest el 2s oon da block. Member black is negerative. Gettem crossed den, snot frum Diamund Dolls, butt blown fuses. 50 ampers caan gey ass pensive. Me,,, yes Mr Sperfect have crossed upster my charger, and PooP, dare sum tin goes. Tank god fer da poops gers. Utter dan dat we wood beez chewin alot of Double Twittster Blonds and da alluminized stuff beez on da fuze boxster. Snot guud.
Now fer uze critters frum Cali. Hay guys surry fer youz ezs weta woes. It's beez a bitch gettin 6" of rain in a weak. 60 mph wins. Thank da A's fer dat. Think ass about Hmmm indoor stadiumz. Butt hea in Fl. weez get 12" of rain a day and 120 mph winders thrown ass us aday. What kinda national $$ helpster R UZ GuyZ groin 2 ass fer da rest of da nation fer now. $$'s 2 bee diggin out da resnottin stations?? Ova wurked pump stations. Get sum guud enganeers dat caan figure dis out wit all dat $$$ youz have bean throwen at US wit da UVs. Drought????? Ware,, Cali?? Suck it upster.