Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Battery tending...

MMissile

500 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Macomb County
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Hellcat WB
How long do the batteries hold charge in these stupid things, if ya don't use them? Mine has been sitting 2 weeks in a climate controlled building The battery was dead. The trunk wouldn't open, so I hooked a tender to the big + lug on the fuse-box, and to a head bolt for the - side. I hope a tender will overcome the draw.

Last edited:

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
How long do the batteries hold charge in these stupid things, if ya don't use them? Mine has been sitting 2 weeks in a climate controlled building The battery was dead. The trunk wouldn't open, so I hooked a tender to the big + lug on the fuse-box, and to a head bolt for the - side. I hope a tender will overcome the draw.
I have a yellow top deep cycle battery which seems to hold up pretty well.

The other ones I tried, not so much. OEM was the worst but I used a burnbox during that time so it probably was a factor.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Disconnect the battery. My car isn't in a warm garage so I put it in the house during the winter

OP
MMissile

MMissile

500 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Macomb County
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
When you disconnect the battery, what loses memory?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I just went out and started my car and let it run for a few minutes.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I have disconnected mine many times and seems like nothing. Unlike the older cars that lose even the radio presets the newer cars are different

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Your car will probably be driven at some point now. We are in michigan so they won't be for months

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Your car will probably be driven at some point now. We are in michigan so they won't be for months
I was hoping to go out to a car meet in the morning but the cold weather will most likely kill it. Frost, freeze and wind advisory.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
My ‘16 is still on its original battery. I put it on a tender in the winter, but I’ve let it sit without one for two weeks in the summer and it starts right up. Maybe I’m lucky or newer Cats are getting an inferior battery.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Disconnect the battery. My car isn't in a warm garage so I put it in the house during the winter
:eek::eek:...you put the car in the house:unsure::unsure:...my wife would never go for that...:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
My ‘16 is still on its original battery. I put it on a tender in the winter, but I’ve let it sit without one for two weeks in the summer and it starts right up. Maybe I’m lucky or newer Cats are getting an inferior battery.
Same here with the original "16" battery..on a tender all winter (heated storage)...but even during summer it has gone weeks without driving...never had an issue

Last edited:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I was hoping to go out to a car meet in the morning but the cold weather will most likely kill it. Frost, freeze and wind advisory.
When did ya move back to Jersey:unsure::unsure:;)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
If not, buy this...... Its brought back every single battery thats ever died even lithium.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS1...d670b6bc&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Thats a terrible idea Dave. In fact, most damage to motors occur by doing just that.

Ur engine and exhaust will start to collect moisture, the car is never run long enough or at a high enough RPM to recharge the power consumed starting the car in the first place. That alone will kill ur battery and come spring ppl wonder why their battery is shot.

And all the moisture potentially sitting in their oil pan that's now going to take a toll on their bearings during that first drive before it all boils off. Smh. Not to mention the moisture build up on ur heads.

Starting ur car up for a few minutes to "Warm it up" is the worst thing one can do to their car. Especially in the winter.

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
Your car should draw only 30-35mA parasitic current so you should easily get a month setting with no problem if - your battery is good an fully charged and you have no aftermarket devices connected or plugged in. I always put my 2015 on a Battery Tender if setting more than 2-3 weeks and I am still using the original battery.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
My '16 seems to kill the battery pretty quickly to the point where it needed to be replaced at just 2 yrs old. Since then I've been putting it on the C-Tec trickle charger if I know it's likely to sit more than a week & I've not had any issues. Since it's on & off so much I hooked a pigtail/quick disconnect to the battery posts rather then using the under hood connections.

I had one of those NOCO chargers and it took a dump after 3 years. Their warranty is totally useless BTW, after 1 yr it's prorated and you must buy the replacement from them at full retail + pay to ship back the defective unit. At the 3 yr mark it was only a few bucks more just to order a new one from Amazon :mad:

OP
MMissile

MMissile

500 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Macomb County
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18
Will mine recover with a small maintainer on the jump lugs? My car is less than 6 months old. So far, no good.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Will mine recover with a small maintainer on the jump lugs? My car is less than 6 months old. So far, no good.
Might take a few days. My Battery Tender + takes about 24 hours to show full charge even when the car is being driven daily.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
If it doesn't recover, could be a defective battery with a bad cell (or 2). Should be covered under warranty, mine was.