Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Cold Air Intake Questions

Member ID
Reactions
City
The Woodlands
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Durango Hellcat
I'm doing my search for a Cold Air Intake. I hear recommendations for Legmaker, Corsa, AFE....and others.

Manufacturers use lots of Marketing jargon on their sites to sell their products.

Anyone done before and after dyno tests?

For owners of Durango Hellcats who have purchased an aftermarket CAI......what are the "pros and cons" of the one you selected?

The AFE has very high HP and TQ claims with dyno papers and pulls air in through the front and top vents ......how in the heck do they keep rain from drenching the filter?

Does installing a CAI void the manufacturers warranty?

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I don't think that it voids the warranty.
I think the CAI is more of an enjoyment item.
Absolutely brings a driving grin as you enjoy the SC whine.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Waterford Township
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Hellcat Durango
I have the Corsa and it sounds great, not sure if it really makes any power. It has a shroud over the filter to protect from the rain and I think it makes the whine louder.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I have afe on a challenger and really happy with it. They sell the cover separately. I leave it and the sock on mostly.
IMG_0998.jpeg IMG_0996.jpeg

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
The AFE ones looks the best imo. I had the Legmaker but I also had the AFE but sold it but I did prefer the AFE one as it looked more stock appearing. The Legmaker does seem to make a lot of blower whine but so does the AFE.

OP
J
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Woodlands
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Durango Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
The AFE certainly appears to be the best engineered and best quality…..as it should be at $1095.

I am most concerned about moisture on the filter.

1. how does a mesh pre filter keep water out of the AFE. AFE says on their website not to drive in heavy rain.

2. I found in the installation video on the JLT site that they include a clear partial shield for the hood vent to block water. First company I have found to address that. Legmaker covers the top of theirs…..however it is an open filter all around it exposed to engine bay heat. That’s not a CAI.

3. JLT is leading the process at $399 with an enclosed box and rain guard

OP
J
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Woodlands
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Durango Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
With all due respect this is for a Durango Hellcat and that version from AFE does not include a cover.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
With all due respect this is for a Durango Hellcat and that version from AFE does not include a cover.
Sorry I'll fix it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
The AFE certainly appears to be the best engineered and best quality…..as it should be at $1095.

1. how does a mesh pre filter keep water out of the AFE. AFE says on their website not to drive in heavy rain.

2. I found in the installation video on the JLT site that they include a clear partial shield for the hood vent to block water. First company I have found to address that. Legmaker covers the top of theirs…..however it is an open filter all around it exposed to engine bay heat. That’s not a CAI.

Never been concerned about a rain guard. My 13 mustang filter used to get wet and my current whipple filter gets wet because my car does see rain. Never had an issue

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye

Damn, $1100 for just a short ram intake with filter?

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
JLT did before & after dyno tests and are on their YT channel.

I had Legmaker at first on the Hellcat, but the blower whine while awesome at first, got to be a little much after a while. Switched all 3 of my Hemi's to JLT and never looked back. High quality, fit perfect, looks great, decent price, and just the right blower whine for me on the HC. And they have the clear deflector window for under the air vent if desired.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
JLT did before & after dyno tests and are on their YT channel.

I had Legmaker at first on the Hellcat, but the blower whine while awesome at first, got to be a little much after a while. Switched all 3 of my Hemi's to JLT and never looked back. High quality, fit perfect, looks great, decent price, and just the right blower whine for me on the HC. And they have the clear deflector window for under the air vent if desired.
JLT claims that deflector that blocks the vent actually lowers iat and improves performance. Did you try it both ways and what do think?

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
I just installed them to use up all the parts lol. Did not do any comparison testing with/without.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 SRT Durango
I have the AFE. Used them for years on Durango's.

Attachments

OP
J
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Woodlands
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Durango Hellcat
Thread Starter #15
Anyone look at their Air Intake Temp gauge before and after CAI install?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Pittsburgh
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
22’ Durango SRT
Anyone look at their Air Intake Temp gauge before and after CAI install?
Have the AFE open top intake. Temps do get quite high, ambient temps could be mid 40/ high 50’s and intake temps are anywhere from 90-100 while driving. Soon as you’re sitting at a light it jumps well over 170. Keep in mind the intake sensor is located in the middle of the intake pipe so it’s probably not getting an accurate reading on the actual air temperature when your moving as it’s just soaking in the heat off the engine. I wish the SRT hoods on the durangos had a functional air intake similar to how the hellcats/redeye/demons have. They just get the small front bumper inlet than I don’t really think does much.