Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Oil change

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Back in the day when I was a teen working in dad’s shop, I was the designated pump jockey because I was the lowest on the totem pole. One day a long haired freaky looking guy drives in for gas for his GTO (65 or 66 I think). He pops the hood and checks is own oil (usually my job) and asks “do you have any used oil I can have?” I said yeah, but it’s pretty nasty. (In those days, oil coming out of a customer’s car usually looked like chocolate milk.) He asked for some, because it burned/leaked so fast he couldn’t afford to put new oil in it (49c/qt at Bradlees). So I poured in 2q. Performance cars (and owners) were a bit different then.
And..it would seem....had alot less money..:oops:

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
And..it would seem....had alot less money..:oops:
Car probably cost him less than $500!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Car probably cost him less than $500!
My first winter car back in 1971..."64" 2 door ford galaxie ..390 factory 4 spd car..cost me $250...blew the tranny all over the highway late May..just in time to bring out my 71 Demon...junked it and got $35 bucks...I was happy..;)

RAMBLE1

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
NORTH FLORIDA
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 CHALLENGER HELLCAT TorRed RED / REDEYE
I wouldn’t risk taking their word for it. I like my dealer and I have them do my oil changes with my guidance (I get to keep an eye on it while they do it)
I have mine done in November and May because of the six month thing and I know even with our crappy NW Ohio I can get it in sometime during those months regardless of weather.
Warranty is important to me as I also purchased the extended warranty on mine, this is the reason I will remain stock for the foreseeable future.
I agree with you, 100%. I have the oil changed in my '18 Ram and '22 Challenger Redeye, at the dealer, every 6 months, while I watch every move. I plan to keep my vehicles, as they both have 8 year warranties. I don't worry about warranty problems, as they are stock and properly maintained. I try to keep problems, to a minimum and enjoy my vehicles, especially the Redeye...

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
2nd Oil Change Story:

For years I have been putting regular oil in my tractor and Bobcat, the new oil turns black in 5 min, I guessed that is what diesels do.

Last spring I bought several gallons of Rotella T6 Diesel oil on sale, great sale, I cleaned out all the nearby stores. I put it in both and I was shocked! I always check fluids in the machines before starting and I noticed the oil stayed clear amber! For months! It worried me to the point where I plumed a pressure gage in place of the oil pressure switch on the Bobcat to make sure the oil pump was really working!

Very strange, completely unexpected, I can’t explain, still don’t understand.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
"Magic"

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
2nd Oil Change Story:

For years I have been putting regular oil in my tractor and Bobcat, the new oil turns black in 5 min, I guessed that is what diesels do.

Last spring I bought several gallons of Rotella T6 Diesel oil on sale, great sale, I cleaned out all the nearby stores. I put it in both and I was shocked! I always check fluids in the machines before starting and I noticed the oil stayed clear amber! For months! It worried me to the point where I plumed a pressure gage in place of the oil pressure switch on the Bobcat to make sure the oil pump was really working!

Oil turning black means it’s cleaning, but Rotella T6 and other HDEO oils are supposed to be loaded with detergents. So, I can’t figure that one either.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Interesting

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Does @vortecd go 14K and then 10 K between changes many times on the Hellcat? I know you’re not worried about warranty coverage with your mods but you probably are not going 14K between changes on the Charger?
I always thought 🚕 🚓 🚛 that is “Taxi Cab” Police and fleet were considered severe duty🤷‍♂️

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
I always thought 🚕 🚓 🚛 that is “Taxi Cab” Police and fleet were considered severe duty🤷‍♂️
Back in the day... I was in a taxi in SF, I didn't ask him about oil, but I did ask him how long a set of brake pads last. He said "about 2 weeks"!!! o_O

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Last spring I bought several gallons of Rotella T6 Diesel oil on sale, great sale, I cleaned out all the nearby stores. I put it in both and I was shocked! I always check fluids in the machines before starting and I noticed the oil stayed clear amber!

That is odd. But I just spent a few thousand+ signing up for Radford's 2-day course, so my machinery will be lucky to get used PUP 0W-40 for a while.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Back in the day... I was in a taxi in SF, I didn't ask him about oil, but I did ask him how long a set of brake pads last. He said "about 2 weeks"!!! o_O
I knew taxi would eat em up quick but Jesus that be just insane. Must be one of those taxi drivers with a visa and one foot on break and one on the gas like Sammy Hagar says.

I was actually just giving a little nudge when I said Taxi Cab Police and Fleet in reference to 4 door Charger Taxi, but all in good fun. 🤣

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I knew taxi would eat em up quick but Jesus that be just insane. Must be one of those taxi drivers with a visa and one foot on break and one on the gas like Sammy Hagar says.

I was actually just giving a little nudge when I said Taxi Cab Police and Fleet in reference to 4 door Charger Taxi, but all in good fun. 🤣
IMG_6009.jpeg

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
^^^ Fastest, classiest Taxi to come down the pike.
Great pic cept for the dude with Raiders COVID mask.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
My advice...... Buy some Liquimoly oil flush and run it for 20 minutes. https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/us/pro-line-engine-flush-p000065.html#2037
Change the oil and filter and put some cheap 0W-40 Mobil 1 oil from Walmart in it and run it for 20 minutes.
Change that along with the filter and add some quality Liguimoly Oil. https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/us/synthoil-energy-a40-sae-0w-40-p003265.html#2049

I purchased my hellcat new off the show room floor with 17 miles on it in august of 23, after some mild city driving and roughly 320 miles I put it up on ramps and stored it for the winter.that said is it recommended that I change the oil first thing out of storage or am I good for for another 700 miles which is when I’ve done my first oil changes on my previous hot rods…

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
People think this a brain surgery or something, way over thinking this:rolleyes:

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle