Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Preferred method for getting CD collection in a playable format...

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
I'm looking @Diboblo amongst any other electronic nerds/audiophile types...

Like a lot of folks, I have a metric ton of CDs from the good old days that I'd like to burn to an USB memory stick so I can enjoy them on the road. My significant hearing damage/loss aside, I'd like them to be in the least compressed format for maximum dynamic range and in an easily navigable format...

They've been sitting in storage for the better part of a decade and I honestly have no idea the best way to go about so any helpful suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance!

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
The only way I’ve done it is with a PC that has a CD/DVD player. I used Windows Media Player (under Window Accessories in the Start menu). Put the CD in the drive as a source and the USB in as a target. Create a burn list after pressing “Burn” and follow the prompts. It’s slow and cumbersome. Someone smarter than me will likely suggest an easier way.

Because I’m an old fart, I still listen to CD’s on a CD player and records on a turntable.

Diboblo

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
I use Media Monkey, as a media server and media converter. Think of iTunes, on steroids. As a matter of fact, you can replace iTunes, with MM, as it is 100% compatible, with IOS.

MP3 is perhaps the most ubiquitous audio format going. AAC was designed as a replacement, but never gained traction. For bit to bit audio, you want FLAC lossless audio.

This being said, MP3 is shittiest audio format, on the face of the planet. Maybe on par with .WAV. University of Tokyo dis a huge study on MP3 and its compression and frequency "compromises". Whst they found is truly surprising. The frequency band MP3 plays in actually promotes a sort of moroseness, in the brain. It is not a mistake. The frequency band was chosen to do just that. Make the listener sorrowful, dejected...

If you have a thumb drive large enough, go with FLAC. If not, go with AAC.

Just my .02

Hemi Rocket Barge

covidcommander

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
I just use YouTube. It's surpassed my musical collection.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
The only way I’ve done it is with a PC that has a CD/DVD player. I used Windows Media Player (under Window Accessories in the Start menu). Put the CD in the drive as a source and the USB in as a target. Create a burn list after pressing “Burn” and follow the prompts. It’s slow and cumbersome. Someone smarter than me will likely suggest an easier way.
This is what I have been doing the last few years, as my rather large storage rack got full, so I started the conversion project and donated a bunch that I could live without, but still wanted the music for collection reasons.

As far as the USB thing to allow playing your music in the car, I believe I asked this same question on the "other" forum right after I got my Hellcat and got some suggestions. I think I tried some of the advice but quickly gave up because that was the beginning of my new favorite band...THE HEMI :) I almost never even turn on the radio anymore except on long road trips. I want to hear nothing but car and engine noise anymore.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Choices are the DIY methods suggested above or there are places that will do it for you (+ old VCR & cassette tapes as well).
Last time I looked it was a bit pricey, so I went the DYI route for my top picks. It's a boring task, but if you're sitting around with nothing interesting to do while your back heals up, it will save you some $$.

OP
Ronin

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
Thanks all for the suggestions...being retired AND recovering from a recent back surgery I have plenty of time to sit down and get the job done!

My laptop has a CD/DVD burner and I think I have near 300 CDs...? I went ALL in on Columbia House back in the day. :ROFLMAO:

Media Monkey looks pretty sweet, thanks @Diboblo! I'm gonna download the free version to kick the tires and if I like it I'll go all in and get the gold. Considering what you get it's pretty inexpensive...

https://www.mediamonkey.com/windows

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
I recently did my collection using the Windows program Exact Audio Copy to save in lossless FLAC files. Copied to our NAS drive for home use and USB flash drive for vehicles. Yes it took a while.

Can I really tell the difference from high quality MP3 format with my hearing? Only in my imagination.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I recently did my collection using the Windows program Exact Audio Copy to save in lossless FLAC files. Copied to our NAS drive for home use and USB flash drive for vehicles. Yes it took a while.

Can I really tell the difference from high quality MP3 format with my hearing? Only in my imagination.
Congratulations. I have hundreds of CD’s that I need to do but, I’m just to preoccupied with other things.

2ndgen

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orem
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Get the free EAC software and rip them to flac.
Then you can use foobar2000 or ffmpeg (both also free) to downsample them to smaller formats if you want to fit more on your media of choice (USB thumb drive or phone--a phone can serve as a USB thumbdrive too).

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
Here's what I do (it's not for everyone). First, rip the CDs to .wav files. I use dbPowerAmp, which is paid software. Exact Audio Copy is a good free alternative. Then I use CoolEdit2000 to adjust the volume levels so that all of the music plays at the same level later. Then import the .wavs into iTunes. Convert the .wavs to Apple Lossless for the best sound. Add album artwork. Transfer the desired songs to iPhone/iPod. It sounds like a lot of work but I have it down (I can do a CD in less than 10 minutes) and they sound terrific.

Last edited:

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
This is what I have been doing the last few years, as my rather large storage rack got full, so I started the conversion project and donated a bunch that I could live without, but still wanted the music for collection reasons.

As far as the USB thing to allow playing your music in the car, I believe I asked this same question on the "other" forum right after I got my Hellcat and got some suggestions. I think I tried some of the advice but quickly gave up because that was the beginning of my new favorite band...THE HEMI :) I almost never even turn on the radio anymore except on long road trips. I want to hear nothing but car and engine noise anymore.
The WHINE!

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Back in the day, it was the sound of the secondaries opening on a 4bbl. Once everything was FI, it was all boring. But the SC changed everything!

Maybe they can make that EV Charger sound like an old 4bbl! You heard it here first!