Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Whipple 3.0 on a Stock Hellcat?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Atlanta
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Anyone running a Whipple on a stock Hellcat motor?

I understand it would need fuel pumps and injectors, but my question is more about stock rods, pistons, and crank.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
There's quite a few running it.

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I tune a lot of whipples even on stock engines and trans. As far as this forum goes @Demid22 and @vortecd. @vortecd went 9.1 and daily drives his until snow flies.

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Anyone running a Whipple on a stock Hellcat motor?

I understand it would need fuel pumps and injectors, but my question is more about stock rods, pistons, and crank.
Yep. Sure do. Triple pump and 1650 injectors.

Pending boost level will decide alot of things. 10% lower and a 3.5 upper put me at 18psi. Dual fuel pumps and 1200ccs inj were basically tapped out on that. Went with triple pumps abd 1650ccs inj so i can run a 3.25 upper putting me right around the 22psi level.

Ive askes several members and bugged Jon to death with all my questioning. On factory bottom end and factory head bolts you dont want to go much more than 22psi.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Just ran a 100% stock 6.2 with a new 3.0. E85 with pump and injectors of coarse. Stock trans and rear with a 3.09 gear. Car did have control arms and a 15” conversion with M/T radial pros. Easy off the line to save the stock DS and ran a 9.3 at 152mph. Beef up the driveline a little and under good conditions it will run 9.1 no doubt.

Last edited:

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Triple and 1700's for 22psi?

Fatty McWhipple moving some air compared to the 2.4 IHI. 1200's and duals at almost 22psi was riiiigggghhhttttttt at the edge of DOH!

I planned on a full triple and at least 1700's next round anyways. My personal debate is between 3.0 and 3.8...or Chinese choo-choos.

On the subject of triples anyway...which is the most preferred here? I see we have a few triple returnless options on FPCM's now...

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle

Fatty McWhipple moving some air compared to the 2.4 IHI. 1200's and duals at almost 22psi was riiiigggghhhttttttt at the edge of DOH!

I planned on a full triple and at least 1700's next round anyways. My personal debate is between 3.0 and 3.8...or Chinese choo-choos.

On the subject of triples anyway...which is the most preferred here? I see we have a few triple returnless options on FPCM's now...
Yea Jon and I were so close to getting it to work with duals but any drop in air temp wouldve caused DC to go past our limit. So triples and 1650s it is. It also has catless exhaust with LT headers, ive seen that usually drops boost pressure couple psi.

As far as the triples go, i had duals, sent the hat to Tapped and had the triple conversion done. Ran my own - 10 fuel line up to a y split, splits into (2) - 8 lines each one feeding a fuel rail. Returnless. Whipple fuel rails. Works just fine.

Personally id go with 3.8 but i just like having a blower vs turbo. @hellno hooked me up with his 3.0 so i couldnt pass it up. Until i build motor this is what itll sit at. At considering im building a house currently, i dont see $15k to spare on an engine build in my near future. But if some investments turn around than sure. I seen a guy on here one time daily on 28psi and turns it up to 34psi on track days. Insane. Rods to the heavens if i tried that, or a lifted head. Most likely both.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I ran 8.9 at 155mph on my stock 2016 engine and 3.0 Whipple, Tapped triple pumps, E85 and ID1700's.

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I ran 8.9 at 155mph on my stock 2016 engine and 3.0 Whipple, Tapped triple pumps, E85 and ID1700's.
Dang bro. That's booking it especially for stock bottom end. How much boost?

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Dang bro. That's booking it especially for stock bottom end. How much boost?
That was a stock lower pulley and 3.0 upper. right around 19.5 psi.

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thats insane. Mustve been some good track prep

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I am also on a stock lower and with a 2.50 upper after meowless long tubes I'm right around 19.5-20psi in the hot weather. Add another pound when. It cools down.

I'll keep this pulley info for reference if needed.

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
What are you looking for on times or goals from the whipple? I will help you put a plan together. Like I said Ive had customers go low 9s all stock and full weight but this didnt happen in july it was the better weather months.
To put into perspective my personal car went 8.88 this was a stock 2.7ihi on my redeye. Stock trans stock engine.
@vortecd this same day went 9.1 on a very conservative tune. We did the math his car was much much heavier. We actually believed he was making 50 hp more than my car but I went that much faster just because I was lighter. But this day was great air around 0 to 200 da. Prep was also on point.
A 3.0 whipple with a 3.0 pulley you will not just go out and run a high 8 or low 9. There are to many factors.
If you have a goal though I can help get you on the right path.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
@Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC I have to disagree, Whipple with a 3.0 and stock lower, in Rockingham at 2500 plus DA in 90 degree heat, I was still running 9.0-9.10 consistently across 6-8 passes. now I was down a few mph but the ET was there.

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
@Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC I have to disagree, Whipple with a 3.0 and stock lower, in Rockingham at 2500 plus DA in 90 degree heat, I was still running 9.0-9.10 consistently across 6-8 passes. now I was down a few mph but the ET was there.
You also pulled a fair amount of weight. If I remember correctly you were pretty stuck at that 9.0 mark and you were chasing 8.9 for awhile. You put the built trans in and finally broke the 8.9 mark. I dont think it was 2500 da this year when you were stuck at 9.0 all stock though. It was spring time.
Also with his car I wouldnt be putting a kill tune in unless he told me he was worried about the consequence. Which it sounds like he is because he is also asking about pistons and rods.
Point being if you were in my shoes I dont think you would be promising anyone bottom 9s on a 100 percent stock car. Track is going to matter and air is going to matter. The whipple is way more capable then my factory blower and that is why I said the example of that has been in the 8s all stock everything. But his first time out most likely will not be in the smae conditions that i went 8.8 he also may not have the car as light as I had mine to many variables.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
You also pulled a fair amount of weight. If I remember correctly you were pretty stuck at that 9.0 mark and you were chasing 8.9 for awhile. You put the built trans in and finally broke the 8.9 mark. I dont think it was 2500 da this year when you were stuck at 9.0 all stock though. It was spring time.
Also with his car I wouldnt be putting a kill tune in unless he told me he was worried about the consequence. Which it sounds like he is because he is also asking about pistons and rods.
Point being if you were in my shoes I dont think you would be promising anyone bottom 9s on a 100 percent stock car. Track is going to matter and air is going to matter. The whipple is way more capable then my factory blower and that is why I said the example of that has been in the 8s all stock everything. But his first time out most likely will not be in the smae conditions that i went 8.8 he also may not have the car as light as I had mine to many variables.
I would agree on that. I knew what the consequences were. My stock 2016 engine was a glutton for punishment. I think it was more the converter than built trans as we didn't touch the trans tune from the stock one to the built one.
I had the trans in Rockingham. I was stuck at the 9.0 range last year until April of this year. But was able to run consistent 9.0-9.1 in the heat and higher DA at Rockingham. Ran the same tune from April until the new engine. wasn't going to push it any harder. car was still 4500 plus lbs with me in it. not much more to take out of them unfortunately. I believe 9.1-9.3 should be doable for him safely with the normal weight out, depending on his elevation.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
U dont have enought CI's for the 3.8. U need a 7.0 liter or bigger.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

I have the Tapped triple 295's returnless with my 3.0 and 1700's went 8.4 in the 1/4 maxing out my injectors, fuel pressure was not dropping. In the process of upgrading to a 3.8, 2150's and adding 2 JMS baps.

OP
terryd5150
Member ID
Reactions
City
Atlanta
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #20
What are you looking for on times or goals from the whipple? I will help you put a plan together. Like I said Ive had customers go low 9s all stock and full weight but this didnt happen in july it was the better weather months.
To put into perspective my personal car went 8.88 this was a stock 2.7ihi on my redeye. Stock trans stock engine.
@vortecd this same day went 9.1 on a very conservative tune. We did the math his car was much much heavier. We actually believed he was making 50 hp more than my car but I went that much faster just because I was lighter. But this day was great air around 0 to 200 da. Prep was also on point.
A 3.0 whipple with a 3.0 pulley you will not just go out and run a high 8 or low 9. There are to many factors.
If you have a goal though I can help get you on the right path.
Very impressed with the conversations in this thread. Clearly, this forum has a more mechanical mindset than the other place....

Regardless, my goals here are slightly different than the ET numbers being thrown around here (as impressive as they are).

Mine is a 2016 M6 daily driver. I'm a relative newcomer to the Hellcat world, but not to cars and tuning.

My problem is, this car doesn't really feel any faster than some of the other cars I've owned.

I'm currently building a bottom end to drop in the car and I plan to top it with a 3.0 Whipple.

I plan on doing a built transmission at the same time I do the engine swap, so it's a big project.

My question with the Whipple on the stock bottom end was more about do I need to burn money on porting/snout/TB to support the current 2.4L or can I just put that money straight to the Whipple and drop that in the car now.

I'm sure the car will make a few passes down the strip as part of TnT (most of my cars do), but my larger goals are healthy logs with improved performance from what I have now.

When I swap the engine and trans, that's when I'll get significantly more aggressive.