Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Whipple 3.0 on a Stock Hellcat?

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
He told me he hacked into the ECU and no one else has done that yet. He says he controls everything including fuel. Im not sure exactly what hes doing but he not inferring anything at least thats what he told me. I asked him what was being inferred to make changes and he told me nothing that the ECU sees and does it all.

I cant see other well known tuners jumping onto his program if it wasnt something other tuners have already done. I dont know if things still have to be done remotely from Satera or if the tuner can do everything himself.

Maybe Jeremy has the ability to unlock the ECU for others to tune it like he does not really sure but hes definately not inferring anything. At least according to him.....

I am pretty sure they are still inferring the fueling side. They remove the Iat sensor and use that to change timing using the temp safety tables that are in place but instead of temps it’s changing timing based on fuel content. 100 percent removing the Iat safeties.
hp tuners flex patch had issues with newer Redeye’s. I couldn’t help but notice they kept posting flex videos of everything besides these problematic vehicles.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'm not going back and forth from gas and e85 so a flex tune isn't needed. I see no point putting 93 in my car, killing power and paying more for it during the summer

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yea, but like 90% of the country has no readily access to E85 so for many 93 is the only option. Filling up barrels in my garage is a real PITA but still do it and im a long way from anywhere like thousands of others who drive 20-30 miles just to get anywhere other cars are. Having to go back home to get gas just isnt viable for most.

I have flexfuel in my 1100 hp Golf R. I still use E85 95% of the time cause I dont want to have to turn the boost way down and make less power it sux TBH.

93 for many is their ONLY option. It was for me the past 25 years. It wasnt till this year that we got E85 locally and its only E70 usually but I made gobs of power on E70 so makes no difference to me and for me personally 93 octane is for anything but power. I just want the ability to put 93 in and get home if I cant get E.

E85 here is $4 a gallon here and its expensive for many others as well. Its not $2.50 a gallon like it is in many places its actually MORE expensive than 93 in some areas so no money savings there at all!

I'm not going back and forth from gas and e85 so a flex tune isn't needed. I see no point putting 93 in my car, killing power and paying more for it during the summer

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Yea, but like 90% of the country has no readily access to E85 so for many 93 is the only option. Filling up barrels in my garage is a real PITA but still do it and im a long way from anywhere like thousands of others who drive 20-30 miles just to get anywhere other cars are. Having to go back home to get gas just isnt viable for most.

I have flexfuel in my 1100 hp Golf R. I still use E85 95% of the time cause I dont want to have to turn the boost way down and make less power it sux TBH.

93 for many is their ONLY option. It was for me the past 25 years. It wasnt till this year that we got E85 locally and its only E70 usually but I made gobs of power on E70 so makes no difference to me and for me personally 93 octane is for anything but power. I just want the ability to put 93 in and get home if I cant get E.

E85 here is $4 a gallon here and its expensive for many others as well. Its not $2.50 a gallon like it is in many places its actually MORE expensive than 93 in some areas so no money savings there at all!
I get not everyone can get it and the flex tune may work for some. I would rather just change the tune if I'm not going to put e85 in

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Me too, but the whole point of a flexfuel tune is the ability to just add fuel at any given time. If im about to run out of E on the road I just cant add 93 octane I would have to drain all the E out. Where am I gonna put it?

If im at home its easy I just drain it into the 55 gallon drum and put 93 in and switch tune. That wont work at a gas station.

For me its either Flex or stick with one type of gas. Although on my Turbo Mustang I have to switch tunes and change fuel but that makes 1100 whp on 93 octane and weighs 3400 lbs so its fast AF on 93 so I dont need E but when I put the E in its a lot faster obviously. Its really the added TQ that makes the biggest difference.

I get not everyone can get it and the flex tune may work for some. I would rather just change the tune if I'm not going to put e85 in

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Talking to Jon there were others things you were fighting though
At the time of switching from 2150s to 1650s im unsure what else we were fighting. News to me.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
At the time of switching from 2150s to 1650s im unsure what else we were fighting. News to me.
Before the injectors switch there were others things. Was even brought up to get it figured out before going to the whipple

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I hear ya. I really wanted to run 93 octane myself. John says he's working on a 93 octane tune for the 2150's. I dont need or want it for power I just want it to get home if I cant get E85 for some reason. The only E85 pump station around here closes at 10 pm.

I use to feel the same way with never wanting to give up 93 octane but that 3.8 requires GOBS of fuel and its just not happening with 1700's. I did consider the larger pulley and 1700's but thats kinda silly cause I would benifit more from the 3.0 liter at that point cause just NOT in its efficiency zone at all and TBH would likely run like shit and make little power! That 3.8 needs CI's, RPM, Boost and FUEL!

I think when it comes to power the 1700's are just not an option with the 3.8. I would be thrilled with a flex fuel set up that I could go all out with on E85 on 2150's but simply be able to drive home on 93 if needed.

Having a seperate tune would be kinda worthless cause how am I gonna get the remaining gas out to run 93 octane when on the road cause a dedicated 93 octane tune isnt something I would ever use. Spend $35k on a motor and 93 octane doesnt sound so inviting knowing the consequences. Plus E85 just runs so cold its a no brainer for longevity as long as one changes the oil and plugs more often no biggie tho.

I would opt for the bigger motor first (I know shits expensive) otherwise it will just run like shit and ull get beat by cars with the 3.0. I would cry now lol. Ull pick up 40 hp or so with the bigger CI's and if u opt for Thiteck heads ull pick up another 40-50 hp so running the 2.4 isnt a total waste at all but going 3.8 first imo would be.

I would say if E85 is not available to u the 3.0 will be a better option for sure on 93. E85 just became available for me this year. Otherwise I would not even consider it if I had to fill up at my house every day. E85 MPG is awful so I need a gas station on the road but not everyone has that option but thinking ur gonna just pulley up and run the 3.8 on 93 octane is a pipe dream bro.

If ur plan is to run 93 octane then the Magnuson 2650 is a FAR better option than the 3.0. It will make more power at the lower boost levels required for 93 octane. That 3.0 requires more boost to be in its efficiency range when compared to the Magi. The 3.0 will make more power on E85 tho for sure.

The 1700's couldn't keep up with boost only on the 3.0, I cant imagine they will do well at all with the 3.8. For a 93 tune you will have to go with a giant pulley to keep boost down to 16 or below. not even sure they make one big enough for the 3.8 to bring it down that low.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Biggest pulley that will fit the 3.8 is 3.875. I have a Whipple one NIB if anyone wants to buy it let me know.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Biggest pulley that will fit the 3.8 is 3.875. I have a Whipple one NIB if anyone wants to buy it let me know.
and you make 29 psi on a 3.5? no way a 3.875 will make lower than 22psi. not gonna work with 93.

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Before the injectors switch there were others things. Was even brought up to get it figured out before going to the whipple
Oh yea yea. Tb closing and bpv blowing open. Thsts why I went with the whipple instead of buying a TB

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
and you make 29 psi on a 3.5? no way a 3.875 will make lower than 22psi. not gonna work with 93.
Remember +10 lower and he’s looking at 426 cubes

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Not yet. I'll keep that in mind though.

Wonder what it would make on a stock lower since he has a +10%...

Member ID
Reactions
City
Port orchard
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 redeye
Have you guys had issues with the 3.0? I have a new in box 3.0 whipple for my superstock I haven't installed because of the issues some have had. Mine is revision J, not sure if mine has the issues corrected or not. I want to install that fuker after reading this.

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Have you guys had issues with the 3.0? I have a new in box 3.0 whipple for my superstock I haven't installed because of the issues some have had. Mine is revision J, not sure if mine has the issues corrected or not. I want to install that fuker after reading this.
I havent had any issues with mine. Its been worked over and race ported.

I was told it was race ported, race bearings and clearanced so it wouldnt suffer from the issues others have seen with the 3.0

When i reached out to understand what exactly was done to it ("clearancing") the individual simply said I dont work on whipples anymore. I tried to ask again what was done previously and he simply wouldn't tell me just said "i dont work on whipples anymore"

Anywho, i have a 10% lower and 3.25 upper which shifting at 6600rpm that puts the whipple at about 18krpm which is what whipple says is their safe place. I make 22psi on that setup with catless long tube headers.

I think the biggest issue with these is over spinning but i could be wrong.

For my whipple i was also sent a 3.0, 2.75 and 2.65 uppers. Respectively at 6600rpm thatd put the blower at 19.5krpm, 21.3krpm, and 22.1krpm. All of these are out of whipples claimed safe zone at 18krpm. I think some ppl. Slap a 2.75 upper on it, spin the guts out of them constantly and they fail. But again... Idk. Just providing what limited knowledge i have on them.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I know there is a k not sure if there are more. Seems to be hit or miss with them. I have over 5k on my J

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I know there is a k not sure if there are more. Seems to be hit or miss with them. I have over 5k on my J
Good to hear!!
Have you visually inspected the rotors recently for wear?

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
from my understanding the 3.0 whipple and the factory 2.4 were tested at 14psi and the whipple made 120 more hp then the 2.4 ,just that alone would make me go whipple right away

me and @Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC just recently tuned a 18 trackhawk stock motor pushing 22 psi on dual pumps with a bap ,and it was a monster ,,but he was definitely dropping fuel pressure a few points( down to 76 psi at 6,000 rpm plus ,that was a 3.25upper w/10% lower i believe a 3.50 upper would have put it at a sweet spot below 22 psi where the fuel would have stayed at 80 psi ,we went with fic 1650 injectors
and as for baps i belive in them ,i never had a bap cause a fuel pump failure

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Good to hear!!
Have you visually inspected the rotors recently for wear?
I have not taken the lid off to look but spinning it sounds fine plus makes no crazy noise like what I have heard online

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I have not taken the lid off to look but spinning it sounds fine plus makes no crazy noise like what I have heard online
THIS WHIPPLE DID HAVE SOME NOISE ,TURNING BY HAND IT FELT SMOOTH ,BUT REFERRED TO @Hatermkr ABOUT THIS AND HE SAID THEY DO HAVE SOME NOISE THAT IS CONSIDERED NORMAL