Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellcat down

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Hellcat Charger Redeye Widebody
Some of you may know I've been a member here for a little while now, actively drag racing my 2022 HCREWB chasing a 9 second slip with help from @Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC. Unfortunately the fun came crashing down at a track rental about a month ago where I experienced an engine failure on my first and only pass of the day.

Long story short, I completed the pass (slow, only a 10.4 and with good air) and upon coming back down for the slip noticed my engine was misfiring badly with a distinct lack of responsiveness from the gas pedal. I thought maybe a quick cool down or a tune reload or something might fix it so I parked it and shut it down. Tried to crank it again and no luck. There was too much resistance for the starter to even turn the car over and it sounded pretty much like a dead battery. Thinking that may actually for some reason be the issue, I got a jump from @2ndAmend which provided enough juice I guess for the starter to overcome the resistance and I got the engine fired. Immediately, white smoke began pouring out the tailpipe, pulley tensioner bouncing around like crazy. Uh oh, I thought...something is really fucked here. I ended up having it towed and it's sat at the speedshop waiting for work in front of it to be completed since then.

Finally this week the shop was able to pull the motor and disassemble and confirmed it was a failure in cylinder 2, which ironically enough Jon told me was his guess weeks ago when we discussed the situation initially. Based on what we can see currently, it appears a lean condition due to an FIC injector failure caused excessive heat buildup in that cylinder, blowing half of my piston off and creating a blowtorch of sorts that actually had tried to cut through the bottom of the block. Basically, I need a new short block and porting of the heads may be required if the machine shop doesn't think they can machine the little bit of damage that those also sustained. $$$$ Jon's guess and observation is that it's likely that these motors just have an inherent weakness in cylinder 2 and that the injector will test out fine. This isn't the first time he's seen this and in multiple cases, it's happened on stock motors.

What the shop did tell me, though, is that the rest of the engine looks great with no visible wear on my pistons or within the other 7 cylinders. Jon's tuning work, to no one's surprise, is excellent and had absolutely nothing to do with this failure. He's actually been great and engaged in this situation and will work with me to help vet quotes from the shop, put me in touch with folks he knows who can build me a short block for a reasonable price, etc.

Anyways, unfortunate that it is, it looks like I'll have an opportunity to possibly throw a 426 stroker kit or something of that nature at it and really build something next level. Photos exist of the damaged engine but I unfortunately didn't receive them tonight. Once I have them, I'll make sure I post them here so you can all see the damage.

Feel free to leave thoughts, ideas, create a prayer circle for a downed brother, etc I'll make sure to update this thread with photos and of course let everyone know what we end up doing with this build.

Last edited:

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
It’s an unfortunate situation. Especially, because we had a conversation of keeping the tune safe and when you asked for more I said I just don’t think it’s worth it and working on the 60 ft was more of a benifet at this point. Or something along those lines
I do think the injector will test fine. That same cylinder has failed from other reputable tuners as well this year. I don’t remember where you were for timing. But it wasn’t much especially for the 100 octane.
One thing I can’t stress enough to everyone is not letting the car heat soak and monitors temps. If I remember right in the log intake manifold temps showed 150 degrees after the burnout. This does not help an already pour performing cylinder. Yes cylinder 2 appears to be the old cylinder 7 issues.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I remember the old cylinder 7 issues. Widespread yet very hush-hush at the same time. I keep making the joke I'm gonna rock this thing til #7 Adele's itself (hello from the other siiiiiiidddddeeeeee).

Build the bottom and send it. You're in good hands.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
My first engine issue was cylinder 2 and 7, others were perfect. As Jon expressed that 150 degree MAT temp did not help things, I would have never started a run at that beginning temp. Probably butted a ring and it was all over in microseconds when that happens, stock top ring gap is tight, too tight for high boost and hot MAT

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I'm still in the habit of referring to temps as IAT1 (pre blower) and IAT2 (post blower) like in the GM world.

150 pre blower doesn't bother me as much because as soon as that throttle slams open it's gonna suck all the cold air in the world.

150 post blower is...well...not good. Stock tune starts to yank stuff at 145 (at least it did in my car) for a reason.

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Can we go in the tune and slightly give those 2 cylinders more fuel if they are running lean?

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Can we go in the tune and slightly give those 2 cylinders more fuel if they are running lean?
You can. Question would be how the other cylinders look after doing this. His tune was set to .83. Which is pretty standard. .80 would give more cooling. Factory tune is .87. So the we are already commanding richer. But there are other things to add to fuel suck as cot

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
I guess I’ll make sure we do a 180 t stat. This wasn’t even a hot day, it was around 69-70 degrees at the time of the run. I had run it in much much hotter weather earlier in the season. My engine seems to always be heat soaked in these logs.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Watching

426 sounds nice

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
You can. Question would be how the other cylinders look after doing this. His tune was set to .83. Which is pretty standard. .80 would give more cooling. Factory tune is .87. So the we are already commanding richer. But there are other things to add to fuel suck as cot
Can you do individual cylinder fuel control? Or is the ecm limited ?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Been there done that. Mine was cyl 7 on original HC motor. I wonder if there are some machining tolerances not quite perfect that rears its head with these incidents.

I wondered if an injector was my problem as well, but mine all checked fine from an independent lab test.

Sucks when it happens, but a chance to upgrade.

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Can you do individual cylinder fuel control? Or is the ecm limited ?
Ecm allows fueling per cylinder. What I was saying was the O2s pulling and adding fuel depending on what they smell

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ecm allows fueling per cylinder. What I was saying was the O2s pulling and adding fuel depending on what they smell
Exactly, a programed richer cylinder mean leaner other cylinders as the O2 sensors are averaging the exhaust from 4 cylinders. Be nice to have 8 O2 sensors.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Exactly, a programed richer cylinder mean leaner other cylinders as the O2 sensors are averaging the exhaust from 4 cylinders. Be nice to have 8 O2 sensors.
And 8 individual egt sensors

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Been there done that. Mine was cyl 7 on original HC motor. I wonder if there are some machining tolerances not quite perfect that rears its head with these incidents.

I wondered if an injector was my problem as well, but mine all checked fine from an independent lab test.

Sucks when it happens, but a chance to upgrade.
I think it’s cylinder jacket cooling related but opposite what is thought, ie not from hot cylinders but cold cylinders. Colder cylinder liners from colder coolant temps (ie 180 or lower tstats) means even smaller ring gap and piston to wall clearance on an engine designed to run hotter. For every .001” of bore size means .00314” of ring gap. Hot pistons with tight ring gaps in cold bores don’t play nice together. Demon and RE engines are built with larger PTW clearance and ring gap for a reason, higher expected load, ie heat

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I think it’s cylinder jacket cooling related but opposite what is thought, ie not from hot cylinders but cold cylinders. Colder cylinder liners from colder coolant temps (ie 180 or lower tstats) means even smaller ring gap and piston to wall clearance on an engine designed to run hotter. For every .001” of bore size means .00314” of ring gap. Hot pistons with tight ring gaps in cold bores don’t play nice together. Demon and RE engines are built with larger PTW clearance and ring gap for a reason, higher expected load, ie heat
That is an interesting theory. It's odd that on Hellcat it was Cyl 7 you mostly saw issues with and on the RE it's Cyl 2. To be honest, I was a little worried about my RE motor when the SDG worked 2.7 made 20psi. I ran a lot of WOT passes on the street dialing in and changing fuel setup, but only 3 or 4 passes at the track before the car was stolen. Who knows it may have been fine or popped on my next outing. AJ used to always say no more than 850RWHP even for a RE, but I was never sure if that was to sell built motors or what.

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
So…..426 short block is what I’m hearing? Do I include a cam? Anyone have recommendations? Not sure what the best path is going forward. Was going to discuss with the shop next week but not sure who they work with or what they can get.

Don’t want to have to do additional supporting mods like built trans, etc.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I don't know I'd do a 426. Supercharged motors usually like a little less stroke. I'd recommend getting a goal in mind and build the engine around it.

Personally, a forged 6.2L is where I'd go, but I like the stock IHI superchargers too. A 426 will need a much bigger supercharger I think.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
AJ used to always say no more than 850RWHP even for a RE, but I was never sure if that was to sell built motors or what.
So my 792@15 psi is safe..

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
I don't know I'd do a 426. Supercharged motors usually like a little less stroke. I'd recommend getting a goal in mind and build the engine around it.

Personally, a forged 6.2L is where I'd go, but I like the stock IHI superchargers too. A 426 will need a much bigger supercharger I think.
Gotcha. Any recommendations from you or Jon there? Whatever it takes to never have this happen again and give me something that will let me turn the boost up a bit more if I wanted to in the future.