Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellcat down

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I did a bit of research on the Demon (at the time) later Redeye engine designation I put in GoManGo and it had A BUNCH of upgrades over a stock Hellcat engine. I can't remember all of them now but did a video on it and it was like a lot from oiling, to cooling, to maching, and stronger parts.

My Hellcat motor died (broke cyl 7) when I was starting to get below 10.0. Lots of others reached out to me with the same issue, even the same cylinder, a couple of dealerships with stock cars as well that had broken pinged me for info. Not saying people don't go faster, it's just my opinion that's pushing it. Having said that there were changes to the Hellcat engine starting in 2018 I believe, different rod bolts and some other stuff that wasn't advertised. That may help them live a bit better than my 2016.

I keep all my timeslips and have a stack an inch tall sitting her on my desk. My car had 55 passes on it when it let go and I can't even count how many WOT hits on the street.

Last edited:

Reillyrob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Redeye
You broke your Redeye motor? 🥺🥺
Yes. Back in September it let go while I was on the street. Wasn’t pushing it at all, just accelerating from a light and when it shifted into 4th cylinder #2 let go. I hadn’t raced it since April and I don’t push the car hard on the street at all so I’m not really sure why it decided to let go at that time.

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Yes. Back in September it let go while I was on the street. Wasn’t pushing it at all, just accelerating from a light and when it shifted into 4th cylinder #2 let go. I hadn’t raced it since April and I don’t push the car hard on the street at all so I’m not really sure why it decided to let go at that time.
Same thing happened to Jon

Reillyrob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Redeye
Same thing happened to Jon
I’m certainly no expert but I think there may be an issue with the cylinder bore that causes the piston to wear and eventually wobble in the cylinder until it binds and the rod just rips the bottom of the piston apart. Just my 2 cents.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
I guess I’ll make sure we do a 180 t stat. This wasn’t even a hot day, it was around 69-70 degrees at the time of the run. I had run it in much much hotter weather earlier in the season. My engine seems to always be heat soaked in these logs.
Are you saying that your HC was Tuned but you did not have a 180 Tstat?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Damn. Sorry to hear this.

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Hellcat Charger Redeye Widebody
Thread Starter #47
Are you saying that your HC was Tuned but you did not have a 180 Tstat?
Ya. Stock tstat. Jon at the time was neutral on it and said it wasn’t really necessary so I skipped it.

Reillyrob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Redeye

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Ya. Stock tstat. Jon at the time was neutral on it and said it wasn’t really necessary so I skipped it.
What other mods did you have installed?

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Are you saying that your HC was Tuned but you did not a a 180 Tstat?
I’ve had thermostats fail during a pass. Oem is no doubt the most reliable. I never recommend one when asked and it is the customers decision. You can see go man’s reply above the tstat will always be debated.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
I'm not here to debate anyone about having a 180 T stat. I don't mod, or Tune myself but I do race and read.

There are Hellcat owners with 0 mods who have added a 180 T stat.

My Hellcat had a 180 T stat installed since 2015 back when my husband "Top Cat" rip and I were at the track for T&T and R&D of parts and Tuning with Josh@HHP. The logs showed it was needed.

I did have that one to start failing in 2020 while Daily Driving home from work my airconditioning wasn't blowing cool air but my HC also didn't feel right driving. Josh recommended to drive with my heat on and take it easy. Then he had me trailer my car down to have the T stat replaced. I guess I was lucky because I wasn't racing. I read about guys who had them fail and the engine blew.

All of these Performance shops/Tuners all have 180 T stats in their packages.

https://highhorseperformance.com/hh...t-hellcat-850hp-stage-1-installation-package/

https://barthtuningstore.com/750hp-performance-package/

https://shop.ostdyno.com/shop/hellcat-demon-trackhawk-services/

https://www.dusterhofftuning.com/collections/redeye-power-packages/products/dt877-redeye

https://sateratuningstore.com/sat-tun-level-1-performance-package-challenger-charger-hellcat/

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
I'm not here to debate anyone about having a 180 T stat. I don't mod, or Tune myself but I do race and read.

There are Hellcat owners with 0 mods who have added a 180 T stat.

My Hellcat had a 180 T stat installed since 2015 back when my husband "Top Cat" rip and I were attempting track for T&T and R&D of parts and Tuning with Josh@HHP. The logs showed it was needed.

I did have that one to start failing in 2020 while Daily Driving home from work my airconditioning wasn't blowing cool air but my HC also didn't feel right driving. Josh recommended to drive with my heat on and take it easy. Then he had me trailer my car down to have the T stat replaced. I guess I was lucky because I wasn't racing. I read about guys who had them fail and the engine blew.

All of these Performance shops/Tuners all have 180 T stats in their packages.

https://highhorseperformance.com/hh...t-hellcat-850hp-stage-1-installation-package/

https://barthtuningstore.com/750hp-performance-package/

https://shop.ostdyno.com/shop/hellcat-demon-trackhawk-services/

https://www.dusterhofftuning.com/collections/redeye-power-packages/products/dt877-redeye

https://sateratuningstore.com/sat-tun-level-1-performance-package-challenger-charger-hellcat/
You did you not test a 160?

let’s be real. That’s all just an added sale parts and labor. It’s call one does it why not the rest.

Maybe people should do own testing. Because they sell a package does it make it right 1701087819057.gif

Last edited:

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
On my Hellcat, No.

I posted we were testing. Every Shop I posted also does their testing and So Does Direct Connection, who has the 180 T stat in the Kits.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I had a 160 with my 4.5 horrible, horrible idea they shouldn’t even sell it with the kit. First, car NEVER got up to temp enough to learn fuel trims. Ever. 2nd, it failed after 4k miles. Thankfully I was close to home and had a 180 from HHP on my shelf. Put in the 180 and that was years ago

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I've always put 180s in my Hemis. 170 was recommended by Toyota for my supercharged 4runner so that's what it got.

There are timing tables related to ECT. As temps rise timing is reduced. I don't think I ever saw any pulled with my 180. Can't remember if stock did.

DC kits include a 180 tstat.

I did have a 180 fail. It was one from Summit can't remember the brand. Car normally stayed between 185 and 192 and I noticed 189 to 196. Dropped it in boiling water to test and it wasn't opening all the way. Replaced with a Mishimoto and not another problem in 4 years.

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Hellcat Charger Redeye Widebody
Thread Starter #57
I've always put 180s in my Hemis. 170 was recommended by Toyota for my supercharged 4runner so that's what it got.

There are timing tables related to ECT. As temps rise timing is reduced. I don't think I ever saw any pulled with my 180. Can't remember if stock did.

I did have a 180 fail. It was one from Summit can't remember the brand. Car normally stayed between 185 and 192 and I noticed 189 to 196. Dropped it in boiling water to test and it wasn't opening all the way. Replaced with a Mishimoto and not another problem in 4 years.
Since I have the opportunity, I’ll definitely have them add a 180 tstat. It seems my temps are always too high in my logs, so for me, it sounds like it’s a necessity.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat

Our Hellcats came off the assembly line with so many race parts already there but Dodge left a lot for modifying and to be figured out.

Our T&T and R&D of parts and Tuning were basically 1 at a time. The 1st part installed was the ATI %10 OD pulley
The 180 T stat is a supporting part that was added right after that trip to LX and Beyond Ohio in July 2015.

My prior Pro charged challenger also built and modified by Josh and High Horse Performance also has a 180 T stat. This is the one my daughter Kate races.
And shoot so did my other prior Kenne Bell 440 Al engine Challenger have a 180 T stat.

Maybe people who don't like those nice packages and want to do their own T&T get to blow up their Engines!

Those Tuners I listed and their Shops are all ones that have Track Tested/ Data logged with many customers at the Track. Most of them have similar part packages and some parts are from different vendors, other have had parts built especially for their Hellcat packages.

Those that were part of modifying Prior to Hellcats helped a lot of Performance Shops put there packages together. They all added the safety of a 180 T stat for more reason than extra money. Less than $100 Vs 15,000.00 Plus

Oh let me be real because prior to our Hellcats I saw many shops install parts whatever the customer thought should be added. Those Shops are mostly not around anymore. But they enjoyed all the money they were scamming because they were being told what to build. Why because they knew it would blow up an engine and then guess what that shop made a whole lot more money selling built engines. Engines and lots of either parts.

PSSSSSSF didn't need to test a 160 stat ...........the 180 t stat worked.

My husband wanted to be part of the T&T and R&D of our Hellcats. He wanted to see parts brought to the market and vendors challenging each other to make better and stronger built parts. Ask @Speedy! how much it sucked for those modifying their SRT8s to run fast down the 1/4 mile.

let’s be real. That’s all just an added sale parts and labor. It’s call one does it why not the rest.

Maybe people should do own testing. Because they sell a package does it make it right View attachment 122061

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Yeah it was definitely the dark ages before the Hellcat platform, that's for sure.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
My opinion (with "some" experience) is that it goes a little like this:

Stock Hellcat motor is good to 10.00. Below that you're pushing it. You'll see lots run faster than that but on borrowed time IMO.

Stock Redeye motor is good to 9.50. Below that you're pushing it.
10.00 for hellcat engine, really. Listening to people trying to sell new engines:unsure: