Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellcat down

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
There's an old adage. Running Boost? Less cubic inches and more cam is the formula. I guess this is still the case?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
That is an interesting theory. It's odd that on Hellcat it was Cyl 7 you mostly saw issues with and on the RE it's Cyl 2. To be honest, I was a little worried about my RE motor when the SDG worked 2.7 made 20psi. I ran a lot of WOT passes on the street dialing in and changing fuel setup, but only 3 or 4 passes at the track before the car was stolen. Who knows it may have been fine or popped on my next outing. AJ used to always say no more than 850RWHP even for a RE, but I was never sure if that was to sell built motors or what.
Jons car made a lot of low 9 second passes before he bought it. That car was raced since new and held up for a long time. Like anything it can brake but normally won't right when you hit some spot. The fox body 302 block was good to about 9s and would split. Same thing, if you ran a 9 you may be able for years before it did

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
So my 792@15 psi is safe..

One can hope lol.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Gotcha. Any recommendations from you or Jon there? Whatever it takes to never have this happen again and give me something that will let me turn the boost up a bit more if I wanted to in the future.
A guy with a RE had the same thing happen over the summer. He just got his car back from OST with a built motor and seems pretty happy with the outcome. Since Jon's tuning, I'd see if he has a minute or two to chat with you. Sounds like you have a shop to do the work, you just need to find a short block to meet your needs. I'd say about any of the built ones are good for well over 1000RWHP, so pick the company you like working with and pull the trigger sooner than later. There is a lead time and that's one of the questions I'd ask when making a decision.

My other advice is to be careful and not start going down a rabbit hole with this. Everyone thinks they want a 1200HP race car until they have one. People forget they make 10 or 12 passes on the drag strip every year, but like to drive the car 3,000 miles in the same time period on the street. Keep things in perspective for how you'll mainly use the car.

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Hellcat Charger Redeye Widebody
Thread Starter #24
A guy with a RE had the same thing happen over the summer. He just got his car back from OST with a built motor and seems pretty happy with the outcome. Since Jon's tuning, I'd see if he has a minute or two to chat with you. Sounds like you have a shop to do the work, you just need to find a short block to meet your needs. I'd say about any of the built ones are good for well over 1000RWHP, so pick the company you like working with and pull the trigger sooner than later. There is a lead time and that's one of the questions I'd ask when making a decision.

My other advice is to be careful and not start going down a rabbit hole with this. Everyone thinks they want a 1200HP race car until they have one. People forget they make 10 or 12 passes on the drag strip every year, but like to drive the car 3,000 miles in the same time period on the street. Keep things in perspective for how you'll mainly use the car.
For sure. To be honest, it was perfect the way it was. I just figure if I can turn it up a little bit more and make consistent 9’s a reality, that would be the end goal if we’re in there anyway. Like you said, it spends 99% of its time hauling me and my family around. I don’t want to get into supporting mods or a new built trans, etc.

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
So…..426 short block is what I’m hearing? Do I include a cam? Anyone have recommendations? Not sure what the best path is going forward. Was going to discuss with the shop next week but not sure who they work with or what they can get.

Don’t want to have to do additional supporting mods like built trans, etc.
I have everything here to build a 426. You replace the parts I can have it together next week sometime

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I’m about to go to 20lbs of boost. It’s a roll of the dice. Probably pushing it, but we’ll see

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I also have e85 and a chiller. Interesting thing is with the chiller my IDC dropped with the cooler MAT temps

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #28
I have everything here to build a 426. You replace the parts I can have it together next week sometime
Thanks for the offer. It seems like there’s conflicting opinion on whether to forge the 6.2 or go 426. I’ll have to do more research.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I’m about to go to 20lbs of boost. It’s a roll of the dice. Probably pushing it, but we’ll see
20lbs is the new 10lbs.

Send it BOI!

Reillyrob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Redeye
For sure. To be honest, it was perfect the way it was. I just figure if I can turn it up a little bit more and make consistent 9’s a reality, that would be the end goal if we’re in there anyway. Like you said, it spends 99% of its time hauling me and my family around. I don’t want to get into supporting mods or a new built trans, etc.
Build The bottom end with upgraded rods and pistons, add a little boost and E85 (if available) With a tune you’ll be in the 9s and the car will still be a very tame on the street. I also lost my engine due to cylinder #2 failing. I replaced it with a factory long block as I didn’t want the downtime for a build. I’m on the fence about racing it in the future.

sc4.6

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Port Stanley
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Challenger Redeye
There is a guy local to me that blew the engine in his Redeye this fall as well. He had 3.17 upper, 10% lower, and was tuned on race gas. His mods weren't installed for all that long, so he couldn't have had too many runs on it. Makes you wonder how strong these Redeye engines really are, apparently not strong enough to take much power over stock.

My Redeye currently has a 3.1 upper on E85 and has been 9.70 @ 143 mph. I'm seriously considering upgrading the bottom end now before it pops. If I'm doing the bottom end, then I think why not add a cam, and why not the heads... maybe I would have been better off keeping it stock, lol.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
My opinion (with "some" experience) is that it goes a little like this:

Stock Hellcat motor is good to 10.00. Below that you're pushing it. You'll see lots run faster than that but on borrowed time IMO.

Stock Redeye motor is good to 9.50. Below that you're pushing it.

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #33

Stock Hellcat motor is good to 10.00. Below that you're pushing it. You'll see lots run faster than that but on borrowed time IMO.

I only got 10.1 out of mine in really bad air. Boo (n)

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
I only got 10.1 out of mine in really bad air. Boo (n)
Do you mind posting your datalog for this run? Im curious now how my runs compare to my last runs as Im stock block boost also

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon

I disagree with this. I went 9.40’s on a stock hellcat for 2 years and a lot have done the same.

Reillyrob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Redeye
I wonder if sometime in the last couple of years Dodge went with different internals in these motors?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I wonder if sometime in the last couple of years Dodge went with different internals in these motors?
You broke your Redeye motor? 🥺🥺

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
stock hellcat internals respond better to more boost and modification, it’s been proven over and over. That’s why redeyes and demons blow up with the same modifications as a hellcat and power levels. The redeye pistons and rods have less material, they’re built to make the redeye stock power more efficiently

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I put 20 passes on the car this year, 15 of them clean passes at 9.8 @ 141/142 leaving off idle idle. Knocking on 9.7 or better if I actually launch the car, was also having some shift issues which should hopefully be resolved now. Car was also making over 900 whp (dynoed) with a 4.5 and saw some action. 60k miles still going. Been on e85 and modified for the last 40k miles

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I've been full blown tarded since august 2019 and just under 9k miles. I've been making no less than probably 750whp (2.85/2 95 & flex) with the vast majority of the time being spent on a 2.50 & E85 so no less than 900whp. I first went 9's in 2021 and then stacked 4 more solid 9's this year with endless consistent base 10's inbetween. Even racing on the 2.95 pulley & flex tune this year (10.40's all day long). Not great times but there isn't a single day this car doesn't see triple digits and full throttle.

Am I pushing my luck? Absolutely. Could it be faster? Absolutely.

Did I tell Curt to keep it conservative prioritizing longevity over record #'s? Also Absolutely.

Will I be surprised when it pops? Nope.

It doesn't owe me a dime.