Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellcat down

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
What are you replacing? Don’t feel like googling part numbers
Everything brand new not one used part in the short block.

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Yep, they were
They were 1400 a year ago and 1700 back in July. I have one in the box yet but ordered a new one yesterday
yep, they used to be A LOT CHEAPER, 1200$ few years ago. How difficult is it to install cam bearings in these?

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Yep, they were

yep, they used to be A LOT CHEAPER, 1200$ few years ago. How difficult is it to install cam bearings in these?
It has them. Don’t have the rear cam plug

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
It has them. Don’t have the rear cam plug
Really? They come with cam bearings installed? Nice

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Could you do a drop in piston and rod with these being brand new

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Could you do a drop in piston and rod with these being brand new
Drop ins are not drop in. I have done drop ins 2 times for people both times rings needed filed and if you do it correctly it needs the rotating assembly balanced. We had to as 24 grams to the last one

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Drop ins are not drop in. I have done drop ins 2 times for people both times rings needed filed and if you do it correctly it needs the rotating assembly balanced. We had to as 24 grams to the last one
Yeah, I figured as much

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Hellcat Charger Redeye Widebody
Thread Starter #150
Thanks for the participation so far in this thread. It's nice to see the support from the community. To answer questions that I've seen asked of me while scrolling through the pages:

1. I was on a mix of Sunoco 93 and an appropriate amount of Torco race fuel concentrate which would have put me over 100 octane at the time of the run
2. I did data log it and Jon has that log. I don't have the desktop application so I'm unable to share the log
3. I don't run a 180 tstat, a fuel filter, different spark plugs or any of other dozen things people in here have acted "shocked" to see me not running. After research and speaking with people who actually understand engines, I sleep well knowing that absolutely none of those would have changed the outcome of that track pass whatsoever.

Thanks to @Hatermkr who has stepped up and offered to build me a long block. His reputation seems very strong and his turnaround much faster than what HHP or others can support. We're going to build the bottom end, port the heads and send it back down the track with Jon once again leading the tuning effort. I will be adding a 180 tstat, NGK 2308 plugs and potentially a full time chiller system to combat heat. Clearly, my engine runs toasty and it gets very very hot and humid here in NH anymore. With this rebuild, I'm confident this will be the last time I'll ever need to make a thread like this, at least as far as the engine is concerned :)

An expensive hobby indeed and my luck being nonexistent tin this case, but I'm making the most of it and am grateful for the wealth of knowledge and the abilities of folks in this community to help me pick up the pieces and get my car back on the track.

Stay tuned for more updates as the build progresses. I know Hatermkr said he'd take photos of the progress and he can feel free to share any of those on here as well. Testing of my fuel injectors should happen in the next week or two and we can see if those were indeed the problem or not.

tempImage4bH8uF.jpg

Last edited:

Reillyrob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Redeye
Thanks for the participation so far in this thread. It's nice to see the support from the community. To answer questions that I've seen asked of me while scrolling through the pages:

1. I was on a mix of Sunoco 93 and an appropriate amount of Torco race fuel concentrate which would have put me over 100 octane at the time of the run
2. I did data log it and Jon has that log. I don't have the desktop application so I'm unable to share the log
3. I don't run a 180 tstat, a fuel filter, different spark plugs or any of other dozen things people in here have acted "shocked" to see me not running. After research and speaking with people who actually understand engines, I sleep well knowing that absolutely none of those would have changed the outcome of that track pass whatsoever.

Thanks to @Hatermkr who has stepped up and offered to build me a long block. His reputation seems very strong and his turnaround much faster than what HHP or others can support. We're going to build the bottom end, port the heads and send it back down the track with Jon once again leading the tuning effort. I will be adding a 180 tstat, NGK 2308 plugs and potentially a full time chiller system to combat heat. Clearly, my engine runs toasty and it gets very very hot and humid here in NH anymore. With this rebuild, I'm confident this will be the last time I'll ever need to make a thread like this, at least as far as the engine is concerned :)

An expensive hobby indeed and my luck being nonexistent tin this case, but I'm making the most of it and am grateful for the wealth of knowledge and the abilities of folks in this community to help me pick up the pieces and get my car back on the track.

Stay tuned for more updates as the build progresses. I know Hatermkr said he'd take photos of the progress and he can feel free to share any of those on here as well. Testing of my fuel injectors should happen in the next week or two and we can see if those were indeed the problem or not.

View attachment 122629

View attachment 122629
Any opinions on if there is an engineering or manufacturing defect in the block with cylinder #2?

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #152
Any opinions on if there is an engineering or manufacturing defect in the block with cylinder #2?
I'm not smart enough to know. Pending the fuel injector not having actually failed, it sounds like some kind of tolerance issue with the piston rings based on what @Hatermkr has hypothesized. I'd love to know, though and get some closure on this if it isn't the fuel injector.

sc4.6

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Port Stanley
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Challenger Redeye

View attachment 122629
Did you add Torco well in advance of you racing or was it added just before you raced? I occasionally see people add it while at the track right before racing, this won't give it a chance to properly mix with the fuel and bump up the octane.

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #154
Did you add Torco well in advance of you racing or was it added just before you raced? I occasionally see people add it while at the track right before racing, this won't give it a chance to properly mix with the fuel and bump up the octane.
Full can of Torco in at gas station, drove 10 miles to the track. Second full can in while sitting in the track parking lot cooling the car down. Sat for about 30 minutes, did a lap around the complex and then hit the staging lane.

Reillyrob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Redeye
I'm not smart enough to know. Pending the fuel injector not having actually failed, it sounds like some kind of tolerance issue with the piston rings based on what @Hatermkr has hypothesized. I'd love to know, though and get some closure on this if it isn't the fuel injector.
I hope someone figures it out at some point......It no coincidence that cylinder #2 is always the issue 99% of the time.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Better question is how did the spark plug look on cylinder 2? That’s the dead give away and I’m surprised no one checks plugs anymore with modern engines

RGPIII

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I hope someone figures it out at some point......It no coincidence that cylinder #2 is always the issue 99% of the time.
From the photos sent here, he had number 4 fail not number 2? To me it looks like heat in that cylinder caused this meltdown. Definitely not a defect.

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #158
I'm not sure. Shop said cylinder 2 but didn't have it front of him at that minute. Maybe someone else can confirm. If it's not cylinder 2 then very possible the injector actually did fail and we'll find that out shortly. *edit* I guess based on a diagram, it is indeed cylinder 4.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I
I'm not sure. Shop said cylinder 2 but didn't have it front of him at that minute. Maybe someone else can confirm. If it's not cylinder 2 then very possible the injector actually did fail and we'll find that out shortly. *edit* I guess based on a diagram, it is indeed cylinder 4.
If injector failed plug would show it.

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #160
Here are the pictures of the heads. Tough to tell from an image the plug condition. Hater can take a look for himself as well.
IMG_1803.JPG IMG_1801.JPG IMG_1802.JPG