Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellcat down

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Pull the plugs out and read them.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
yup straps and tips melted off of number 4 plugs as well. Cylinder had some serious heat in it.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Impossible and expensive to do on these cars, but this is why racers pull and replace plugs after ever few hits

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
You can read the plug and see what it’s doing. Still a skeptic these just explode instantly with no warning

sc4.6

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Port Stanley
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Challenger Redeye
Full can of Torco in at gas station, drove 10 miles to the track. Second full can in while sitting in the track parking lot cooling the car down. Sat for about 30 minutes, did a lap around the complex and then hit the staging lane.
Depending how much fuel you had in your tank, your process should have been good to bring the octane up to a prover level. Something caused that cylinder to go lean, an injector issue seems the most likely, you should know that soon.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Are all these motors on E85?

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Something caused this to melt down. We will probably never know. Is it an injector. Was it clipped in all the way or did it loose contact on pig tail. We can point fingers all day still not going to fix it. But need to make fire everything is checked

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Something caused this to melt down. We will probably never know. Is it an injector. Was it clipped in all the way or did it loose contact on pig tail. We can point fingers all day still not going to fix it. But need to make fire everything is checked
🧐🕵️‍♂️🕵️‍♂️🕵️‍♂️

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Hellcat Charger Redeye Widebody
Thread Starter #170
You’re going to beat the reason out of it when you get it right? We all want to know :mad:

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
You’re going to beat the reason out of it when you get it right? We all want to know :mad:
That’s a per/h diagnostic fee 😂 just kidding, @Hatermkr is good people. If I ever hit the lottery he’s building my next engine 💯💯

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
It's not just cyl 4 that looks like hot garbage.

More than 1 set of plugs have very noticeable damage to electrode or ground strap.

Multiple issues or failures are likely. Without sitting in front of the parts and/or also viewing a full datalog it's all pissing in the wind anyway.

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
That’s a per/h diagnostic fee 😂 just kidding, @Hatermkr is good people. If I ever hit the lottery he’s building my next engine 💯💯
My engines are cheap. I do them for what everything cost me. Pass my deals on to others.only one that fucked me was coby davis

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
So cyl 4 not 2, interesting.

Reillyrob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Redeye

Reillyrob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Redeye
And it seems like they are producing way less Redeyes in 2023 compared to previous years.....I wonder if that's because they know there is a defect in the engine so they cut the production numbers to avoid the warranty problems down the road? The Redeye is the highest priced model (except for the 170) so why hold back?

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
JUST SEND THE INJECTORS AND HAVE THEM TESTED ( BY SOMEONE OTHER THAN THE MANUFACTURER

sc4.6

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Port Stanley
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Challenger Redeye
And it seems like they are producing way less Redeyes in 2023 compared to previous years.....I wonder if that's because they know there is a defect in the engine so they cut the production numbers to avoid the warranty problems down the road? The Redeye is the highest priced model (except for the 170) so why hold back?
If there is a defect in the engine then we would be seeing lots of stock Redeye engines letting go, that doesn't seem to be the case. What I think is more likely is that the Redeye engine isn't happy with too much power over stock. We know that 1000 hp is too much, Dodge figured that out for us while working on the Demon 170.

What type of damage did your engine have? I missed the pictures if you posted them. I'm guessing the damage looked similar to Jon's if your engine let go while taking a leisurely cruise.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
If there is a defect in the engine then we would be seeing lots of stock Redeye engines letting go, that doesn't seem to be the case. What I think is more likely is that the Redeye engine isn't happy with too much power over stock. We know that 1000 hp is too much, Dodge figured that out for us while working on the Demon 170.

What type of damage did your engine have? I missed the pictures if you posted them. I'm guessing the damage looked similar to Jon's if your engine let go while taking a leisurely cruise.
This faluire does not look like mine. At one point this fall I was keeping track of stock failures. I saw 2 and 1 popped headgasket just over Facebook 100 percent stock cars. I haven’t been keeping such a close eye on the groups lately. But I do not think cylinder 4 was any of these. Typically it’s always 2

Reillyrob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Redeye

Mine was a cylinder #2 failure…..piston lodged in the block and the rod ripped the bottom out of the piston. Stock boost on E85, probably added around 60 to 70 HP…… a total of about 60 passes in the 3 years I’ve owned the car. i’m convinced with the majority of the failures being cylinder.#2 but there is some type of defect. I don’t have internal pics.

Attachments